Monday, March 10, 2014

Assassin's Creed - initial thoughts

With the rise of the Xbox One, I've decided to finally catch up on some of the core 360 games that I never really got to when they were full price. I just got Assassin's Creed and played it for about 30 minutes this morning. I had no idea going in what the game is about except murder-fying people in a simulation, and getting lost in a crowd subsequently.

So far, I really like the premise of playing a simulation of an ancestral memory. It reminds me of York addressing the player directly as Zach in Deadly Premonition. When York talks directly to me as if I was some personality in his head, it makes me feel like an agent separate from the actual events of the game - which in essence I am, as the player. Same thing for Assassin's Creed: by addressing the fact that the whole game is a simulation, it makes me aware of the simulation and draws me in as a real actor in the following events.

I also like how they refer to the control scheme as Puppeteering. I just thought that was charming. I also like that the setting is somewhere other than  Space, The Old West, or Big City X.

Other than that, I have no idea what is going on. It seems a lot less like a bro-shooter kind of game than I'm used to, which is good. I prefer being a scalpel to being a chainsaw anymore. Maybe my age is showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment